[Slackbuilds-users] Packaging questions

Matteo Bernardini matteo.bernardini at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 19:15:53 UTC 2020

Il giorno ven 20 mar 2020 alle ore 20:00 Didier Spaier
<didier at slint.fr> ha scritto:

> Hi,
>
> I intend to upgrade espeakup, dynamically linked to espeak-ng not
> espeak, as speech is then way better (tested by Slint users).
>
> Indeed I will provide a SlackBuild for espeak-ng but that leads to a few
> questions.
>
> For both espeakup and espeak-ng I do a "git archive <commit>".
>
> 1. How should I name $VERSION? git<commit>, <commit>, git_commit?

I usually use the date and the commit as $VERSION (without any "git"
prefix), resulting in a string like "20200320_4e2af03" so that I have
also an indication of the date of the commit.
but AFAIK there's no fixed standard.

> 2. If I indicate in the README the command to use to get the source
> archive, tools that automatize source downloads won't work. Is there a
> recommended place to store the source archive?

if you have a sourceforge.net account and ask Willy permissions, I
think you could use slackbuildsdirectlinks

https://sourceforge.net/projects/slackbuildsdirectlinks/

> 3. For espeak-ng I use tools like pandoc and ruby-ronn to build the
> documentation. As it seems unreasonable to require them, can I assume
> that including their output in the tarball is OK?

it's just a suggestion but the best course IMHO would be to make the
docs optional, activating the build of them with a variable (like
DOCS=yes), and indicating in the README that they will need the
optional dependencies pandoc and ruby-ronn to build.

Matteo