[Slackbuilds-users] Packaging questions

Didier Spaier didier at slint.fr
Fri Mar 20 21:36:18 UTC 2020

Le 20/03/2020 à 21:25, B Watson a écrit :
> On 3/20/20, Didier Spaier <didier at slint.fr> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I intend to upgrade espeakup, dynamically linked to espeak-ng not
>> espeak, as speech is then way better (tested by Slint users).
>>
>> Indeed I will provide a SlackBuild for espeak-ng but that leads to a few
>> questions.
>>
>> For both espeakup and espeak-ng I do a "git archive <commit>".
>>
>> 1. How should I name $VERSION? git<commit>, <commit>, git_commit?
>
> epeak-ng version 1.50 was released 4 months ago, is the latest git really
> that much better than the release? If not, I'd stick with the release.

Thare have been several fixes that worth an upgrade, I think. And the
version I consider is already used in Slint since two weeks with no
reported issue (I have explicitly requested a feedback), both in console
mode through espeakup and in graphical environments through speech-dispatcher
and Orca.

> If you decide you really have to upgrade to the latest git, I'd recommend
> using a version number like this:
>
> 1.50+yyyymmdd_<commit>
>
> where yyyymmdd is the date of the commit, and <commit> is the 7-digit
> commit ID.

Will do.

> In fact... I was gonna say, use the git2tarxz.sh script from
> multimedia/straw-viewer, but I had to modify it some to make it work
> with espeak-ng (due to them using tags in a way my script wasn't smart
> enough to handle).
>
> So try this: http://urchlay.naptime.net/~urchlay/src/git2tarxz.sh.espeak-ng
>
> The result is a tarball called espeak-ng-1.50+20200317_7a44961a.tar.xz,
> which you can use as your source and host somewhere. Since you're talking
> about including pregenerated docs (below), you'll want to add them to
> this tarball.
>
> If you use the git2tarxz script, please do include it in your SlackBuild
> tarball.

Will do, thanks for sharing. I have a similar script but targeting a
locally cloned repository, so yours is indeed better to ship as the
SlackBuild's user can then re-generate the archive if he or she wants to.

>> 2. If I indicate in the README the command to use to get the source
>> archive, tools that automatize source downloads won't work. Is there a
>> recommended place to store the source archive?
>
> Possibly here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/slackbuildsdirectlinks/

This was also suggested by Matteo (thanks!). On second thought I could
as well store these archive on my own server (Linode VPS) as they are
not big.

>> 3. For espeak-ng I use tools like pandoc and ruby-ronn to build the
>> documentation. As it seems unreasonable to require them, can I assume
>> that including their output in the tarball is OK?
>
> Yes, I'd say including prebuilt docs is a good solution, *especially*
> since pandoc has 138 (!) dependencies.
>
> If some of the docs are strictly for developers (e.g. guide to hacking
> on its source, API documentation on how to use espeak-ng as a library),
> I'd even say don't include them at all, or add a DOCS=yes variable
> (defaulting to no). The vast majority of users aren't going to need
> developer docs, it's sorta silly to make them chase down a huge chain
> of dependencies to build documentation they aren't going to read.

I will check that and probably include prebuilt docs.

Cheers,
Didier