[Slackbuilds-users] libinput-1.15.4 build fails: no pkg_resources

Christoph Willing chris.willing at linux.com
Mon Mar 23 23:00:45 UTC 2020

On 24/3/20 8:40 am, Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Mar 2020, Didier Spaier wrote:
>
>> python-setup-tools is not needed to build libinput according to:
>> sqg -p libinput. The queue file is:
>>
>> six
>> pyudev
>> python-evdev
>> graphviz
>> ninja
>> python3
>> meson
>> libwacom
>
> These are all in place and at current versions.
>
>> Additionally python in SBo is @ version 3.7.2, not 3.8 and upgrading a
>> needed package in a build chain is a hit or miss endeavor.
>
> Yes, I know that 3.7.2 is what's currently supported.
>
>> As long as you use software shipped neither in Slacwkare 14.2 nor in
>> SBo at the version provided, as far as I am in concern you are on your
>> own.
>
> Okay. Perhaps I'll build the chain from the current source since
> python-3.8.x is supported there.
Your problem will likely persist, or worsen, while trying to mix
packages from 14.2 with those of -current.

At some point, the pkg_resources module was moved from python3 into
python-setuptools. It exists in python3-3.7.2 (the SBo supported version
for 14.2) and imports without issue. However it doesn't exist anymore in
python3-3.8.2 (the version supported in -current) because it was moved
into python-setuptools.

In each case (14.2 and -current) importing the pkg_resource module
normally works because either python3 or python-setuptools contains the
pkg_resources module. In your case it doesn't work because you're mixing
14.2's python-setuptools (no pkg_resources module) with -current's
python3 (also no pkg_resources module). If you must have -current's
python3-3.8.2 then you'll also need to update to -current's
python-setuptools (45.2.0) to access the pkg_resources module. Who knows
what else that change will break ...

chris