[Slackbuilds-users] updates needed for dependencies I wrote scripts for? (mathics but others' builds now?)

David Chmelik dchmelik at gmail.com
Tue Mar 31 14:45:25 UTC 2020

     Some years ago I wrote mathics.SlackBuild and some dependencies
(depends on colorama, mpmath, ply, python-dateutil,
python-django-legacy, six, sympy, but at this point I forgot which few I
did, though I have them) and am aware some people use one or more
dependencies I wrote for something else.  However, Mathics hasn't had
normally-numbered (sequential-numbered) stable releases in years rather
than abnormally-numbered (hash-numbered) development releases.  I am not
building any of those releases.  If someone soon needs a newer version
of some dependency I wrote the script for, it'll have to be forked.  Let
me know if/when that needs to be done, which I suggest whoever needs
that dependency, will (after letting me submit a so-called 'legacy'
version) take it over when you need to update your build, so fork my
dependency, update it for newer versions (and I'll keep the so-called
'legacy' version for Mathics.)
     If they're going to have to be converted to Python 3, I'm not sure
about that.  Basically I'd have to wait for a new normally-numbered
Mathics release and see if that uses Python 3, or if it can be otherwise
changed, otherwise the current Mathics will have to use what it has, or
be dropped, whatever will work... will have to see what the SlackBuilds
administrators say...