[Slackbuilds-users] Vim indent settings for SlackBuilds

Dave Woodfall dave at slackbuilds.org
Sat Sep 5 14:10:27 UTC 2020

On 05/09/20 13:49,
Slackbuilds Users <slackbuilds-users at slackbuilds.org> put forth the proposition:
> A vim modeline is just a commented line at the end of the file. Its presence there shouldn't force anyone to use vim. Neither should it affect anyone who is using another text editor for editing SlackBuilds, as long as that comment line just stays there.
> I'm merely providing an option rather than strongly trying to advocate for enforcing such a change, since I'm not even contributing buildscripts to SBo, so my voice is quiet.

I'm not really bothered either way, since I already have vim setup
with an autocmd, but I'd like to point out that root's vim has
modeline execution turned off by default as a security measure,
so if you're in the habit of testing a slackbuild, then edit it, then
test again, you would need to keep logging in and out in-between all
the time.

It is possible to bypass that security measure, but I wouldn't advise
it.

--
Dave

Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and then suddenly it flips over,
pinning you underneath.  At night, the ice weasels come.
	 --Friedrich Nietzsche