[Slackbuilds-users] smplayer md5sum failure

Dave Woodfall dave at slackbuilds.org
Sat Sep 26 21:38:27 UTC 2020

On 26/09/20 17:11,
B Watson <yalhcru at gmail.com> put forth the proposition:
> On 9/26/20, Dave Woodfall <dave at slackbuilds.org> wrote:
> >> Length: 402751 (393K) [text/html]
> >> Saving to:  smplayer-20.4.2.tar.bz2
> > You need to download the source in a browser for that one.  What you
> > have there is `text/html', which shows in the download output.
> > Sourceforge has unfortunately been broken for many downloads for a
> > while now.  One trick I found is to do:
> Not so. I just downloaded it with wget, and it was fine.

You are correct.  I'd forgotten that I'd set a user-agent in curl,
and it turns out using a Firefox UA produces 241K HTML files, but
when I unset the UA I do get bz2.

> Aside: 393K for an HTML page? Insane.

Yeah, that is pretty bad.  I opened one in links to check, and it
turns out to be the usual smplayer homepage.  I imagine there is a
lot of inline <script> and CSS.

--
Dave

Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and then suddenly it flips over,
pinning you underneath.  At night, the ice weasels come.
	 --Friedrich Nietzsche