[Slackbuilds-users] Python (Again!)

Barry J. Grundy bgrundy at gmail.com
Tue Apr 20 21:00:14 UTC 2021

I know this has come up before and perhaps been answered and I've also
read through the related threads on LQ, but I still have not seen a
definitive answer (if there is one):

Since python2 is EOL and -current/15 ships with python3, is it good
practice now to build python packages with python3 by default?  If so,
then what's the best way to handle the multiple versions?  This
discussion was had on the list back in Feb of '19, but I don't see
anything definitive.

For example, I maintain dpkt.  The version in the -current (ponce's)
repo works, but I have an update ready to go when submissions open
again.  Right now dpkt builds for python2. Here's my question:

My "ready to go" update switches to python3 by default and uses a
"PYTHON2=yes" option to build python2 modules if the user wants. Would
it be better to create python3-dpkt and leave the dpkt script at
python2?  I see it both ways in the 14.2 repo.

Another probably better example is distorm, which is a requirement for
volatility (which is python2 only).  volatility3 is a separate re-write
for python3 with different prerequisites (and I already have a
slackbuild to submit for that when things open again).  So for
volatility it makes sense to leave distorm as is.  I can submit a
separate python3-distorm script when I submit volatility3.

Perhaps with the submissions freeze it would be a good time to either
separate the scripts or at least decide on a "best practice".  My
apologies if I'm simply kicking a dead horse here.

Thanks,

Barry