[Slackbuilds-users] using $DOWNLOAD for alt. purpose

Ruben Schuller sb at rbn.im
Sat Aug 19 13:00:16 UTC 2023

2023-08-16 Arnaud via SlackBuilds-users
<slackbuilds-users at slackbuilds.org>:

> > > Side note: is there any future plans to add a $DOWNLOAD_AARCH64
> > > to the .info?
> >
> > As far as i can tell, no
> > Not all admins have access to ARM machines to test the script, so
> > the best thing we can do is to offer parameter  flags for ARM
> > architecture.
> >
> > https://git.slackbuilds.org/templates/commit/?id=20ac57b04874a38a4a1b4aa8d0fa4ec95a5605a4
> >
> > https://slackbuilds.org/faq/#ports
> >
> > --
> > Willy Sudiarto Raharjo
> >
> If we had optional DOWNLOAD_ARM/MD5SUM_ARM and
> DOWNLOAD_AARCH64/MD5SUM_AARCH64, build tools could be updated to use
> them if present, or simply ignore them if they wouldn't want to
> handle ARM in any way. The download links would be there for any
> purpose.

If we don't want to touch the structure of the ,info files, why don't
we add .info_arm and .info_aarch64 files when there are special
downloads required? To old tools it's just another file and it should
be rather easy to upgrade tools to check for these files. They only
have to be added for packages which really need it, everything else can
stay the same. There just has to be a standard for this!

Cheers
Ruben