[Slackbuilds-users] Microsoft Edge is up for grabs

414N 414N at slacky.it
Mon Nov 27 20:48:16 UTC 2023

Il 27/11/23 20:18, Arnaud via SlackBuilds-users ha scritto:
> Hmm, looks like a damn good way to track your activity, making sure all
> browsing happens from the same machine...

It depends on what component is requiring it and what it does with it.
I also faced this issue with a software I use at work, where it did not
start correctly if that file was missing, and I only understood the
issue by looking at strace output...

> Looks like a file needing to be regenerated on a daily basis, or each
> time you start edge.

Not really, you should generate it once (if missing) and keep it there.
It's part of the systemd "bandwagon":

https://www.man7.org/linux/man-pages/man5/machine-id.5.html

If you run dbus on your system, you should already have a machine-id in
/var/lib/dbus/machine-id. As these two files should have the same
content, one usually symlinks one to the other (see the History section).

--
Alan Alberghini

SBo clone: https://github.com/414n/slackbuilds.org