[Slackbuilds-users] tracking down SBo "dependencies"

Jeremy Hansen jebrhansen+SBo at gmail.com
Thu Feb 29 19:57:19 UTC 2024

On Thu, Feb 29, 2024, 11:46 AM Jim <zsd+slackbuilds at jdvb.ca> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 29, 2024 at 17:47 (+0100), Andrzej Telszewski wrote:
>
> > *From: *Jim <zsd+slackbuilds at jdvb.ca>
> > *To: *slackbuilds-users at slackbuilds.org
> > *Date: *29 Feb 2024 17:12:58
> > *Subject: *[Slackbuilds-users] tracking down SBo "dependencies"
>
> >> I recently upgraded the SBo dav1d, which upgraded the library from
> >> libdav1d.so.6 to libdav1d.so.7.
>
> >> Unfortunately, a couple of other SBo packages (libheif and vlc) had
> >> references to (specifically) libdav1d.so.6, which caused them to whine a
> >> bit.
>
> >> It was easy enough to recompile libheif and vlc after I found the
> problem,
> >> but this got me wondering...
>
> >> Does anyone have an easy way of tracking down this sort of "breakage"
> which
> >> might happen when upgrading an SBo package?
>
> > Please consider tool like _slackrepo_.
> > It will rebuild a package in question should its dependiences be updated.
>
> Hi Andrzej,
>
> thanks for that pointer.
>
> From other discussions it's not clear that slackrepo would catch this, but
> maybe I'll find out.
>
>                                 Jim

Looking at VLC's SBo page, dav1d support is detected automatically, but not
listed as a required dependency.

If slackrepo is used in a clean environment like expected, VLC would not be
compiled with dav1d support without explicitly adding that dependency
through the ADDREQUIRES option in the hintfile.

Thus, an upgrade to dav1d would leave VLC unaffected unless you manually
added that dependency to the hint file. If the dependency was added, VLC
would be rebuilt automatically by slackrepo.

Jeremy