[Slackbuilds-users] Updates - 20240106.1

Arnaud arnaud.garcia-fernandez at laposte.net
Tue Jan 9 12:57:46 UTC 2024

> On Sat, 6 Jan 2024, at 9:47 AM, Willy Sudiarto Raharjo wrote:
> > Please note that all new submission MUST be submitted via normal
> > submisison form in order to get it populated in the database during
> > public update. Updates to existing scripts can be done in both ways (via
> > Github PR or Gitlab MR or normal submission form).
>
> Thanks Willy. So does this mean that for regular version updates (not new
> scripts) we can submit using git? Are there any docs outlining the basic
> workflow for GitLab and/or GitHub with the SBo repo specifically?

I have forked the https://github.com/SlackBuildsOrg/slackbuilds on my own
github account. And I update my master branch when there is an update on the
upstream repository.
Also I have sbo-maintainer-tools installed

My workflow is, when I want to update, say rss-guard package :
 * I am on master branch
 * sbolint desktop/rss-guard/
 * sbopkglint /path/to/rss-guard-x.y.z.txz  # Doesn't validate for other ARCH
 * git checkout -b rss-guard
 * git add desktop/rss-guard/*
 * git commit -m "desktop/rss-guard: updated for version x.y.z"
 * git push --set-upstream origin rss-guard
And then on github I simply make a pull request, usually without comments, if it
is a straightforward update.

If I want to group some updates, for example if I have an update on libjodycode
and jdupes at the same time :
 * commit for jdupes only
 * commit for libjodycode only
 * push both commit on a jdupes branch
 * PR from jdupes branch with message stating that it is an update of jdupes and
its library libjodycode.

Corner cases :
 * Renaming a package is adding a new package using the submit web form, then a
github PR deleting the old package, with a message stating that it is a
renaming, with the new name, so that admins knows to wait for the new package
before merging.
 * If I change the name of a dependency (that has happened a lot with python
package renaming), I still make one commit per package updated, stating that it
is a REQUIRES update, and one commit to remove the old package.

I never group PR for unrelated packages.
A single commit should only be on one package, not multiple packages.

That's mostly my way of doing things.

 - Yth.