[Slackbuilds-users] Questions with packaging a rust program.

Charadon dev at iotib.net
Thu Jul 11 19:02:54 UTC 2024

Hey all,
I'm wanting to make a Slackbuild for BLAKE3. The issue is that it's made
in rust. Now rust has a thing that makes it pretty easy to vendor
(`cargo vendor`) the dependencies, the issue is that, unless upstream
provides their own vendored tarball, you'll be making your own.

So here are my questions:

1. Can I make a vendored tarball, upload it somewhere like archive.org
and use that as a source? I know this is questionable security wise, but
you should be able to replicate the archive using a `git clone` and
`cargo vendor`
2. If not, can I include a script that downloads the source, runs cargo
vendor, and makes a vendored tarball?
2. If not, how would you go about packaging a rust program? Is there any
guide anywhere?