[Slackbuilds-users] Questions with packaging a rust program.

B. Watson urchlay at slackware.uk
Thu Jul 11 20:11:29 UTC 2024

On Thu, 11 Jul 2024, Charadon via SlackBuilds-users wrote:

> Well i'm glad to know my idea for using a vendored tarball was already
> used in practice! Though, my vendor tarball won't have as prestigious of
> a mirror as slackware.uk, haha

It can, if you ask nicely :)

That said, it's better to use a host that you have direct access to,
so you won't have to deal with me if you need to update the tarball.

> Guess I should ask Willy if archive.org or my own ftp site would be fine
> as a source, since it's all verified using md5 anyways. =P

I'm not Willy, but I bet he says it's fine. My 2 cents: HTTP or
HTTPS sources are preferred over FTP (more robust, less likely to get
broken by misconfigured firewalls or clients), but we already have 60+
scripts[*] that use FTP for the download, so feel free to use it.

[*] How I found that out (hopefully useful info): in a clone of the
SBo repo, run:

   git grep -l 'ftp://' '*/*/*.info' | wc -l

For a lot of questions, the answer is "well, we already have scripts
that do that, so yes."