[Slackbuilds-users] All-writable directory under /opt

Daniel Prosser dpross1100 at msn.com
Fri May 3 16:28:52 UTC 2024

Hello,

I am in the process of updating my LucasChess SlackBuild to the latest
version. Something new in this version is that when you first start it
up and click Play, it goes through some process where it decides which
build of stockfish (the analysis engine) is appropriate for your machine
and makes a copy of it. This means the directory
/opt/LucasChess-$VERSION/bin/OS/linux/Engines/stockfish needs to be
writable by regular users, or else it will just hang. Is this acceptable?

An alternative potential solution that I think would work would be to
have the SlackBuild script copy the file, selecting a build that would
work for everyone. For those who may know more about that sort of thing,
the available builds are:

stockfish-16.1-x86-64
stockfish-16.1-x86-64-avx2
stockfish-16.1-x86-64-avx512
stockfish-16.1-x86-64-avxvnni
stockfish-16.1-x86-64-bmi2
stockfish-16.1-x86-64-sse3-popcnt
stockfish-16.1-x86-64-sse41-popcnt
stockfish-16.1-x86-64-ssse3
stockfish-16.1-x86-64-vnni256
stockfish-16.1-x86-64-vnni512

The copy it makes is called stockfish-16.1-64. On my machine, it seems
to have copied the bmi2 version, but maybe the plain -x86-64 version
would be more universal. (For that matter, if I take this approach, I'll
probably just make a symbolic link instead of wasting disk space with a
copy.)

Thanks,
Dan