[Slackbuilds-users] deprecation of webkit2gtk

Bob Funk bobfunk11 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 21:46:57 UTC 2026


Is it becoming a security risk to keep around?

I ask because there's a whole bunch of my slackbuilds that depend on
gnome-online-accounts which that will filter down through. Many of these
slackbuilds are stuck on older versions on slackware 15.0 due to various
libraries in 15.0 that are too old. It'll take some time to go through it
all but the last time I looked into upgrading or migrating these to
webkit2gtk4.1/libsoup3 I had a ton of problems and package build fails and
needed more patches than I maintain packages. Shortly after those packages
came out, gnome upstream migrated to a libsoup3/webkit2gtk stack so I
expect anything with libsoup2 to break here, even if the underlying deps
switch over. I'd like to upgrade to newer gnome packages, but then I need a
bunch of other packages/libraries in stock Slackware to be upgraded to
newer versions to do that and that's a mess too.

If need be we can drop packages from the repo that I can't upgrade anymore
along with dropping webkit2gtk, and then when next release comes around I
can re-add builds (if I feel up to trying to chase fast moving gnome
packages in a slow moving slackware stable world again!).

Regards,

Bob



On Thu, Sep 10, 2026 at 12:45 PM KB_SBo <sbo at linuxgalaxy.org> wrote:

> On 9/10/26 06:35, Willy Sudiarto Raharjo wrote:
>
> >
> > if anyone can help testing their own script against webkit2gtk4.1, that
> would
> > be very helpful
> >
> > Thanks
> >
>
> I'm a bit slow to update, but so far boinc <- wxWidgets <- webkit2gtk4.1
> works fine.
>
> -kb
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> SlackBuilds-users mailing list
> SlackBuilds-users at slackbuilds.org
> https://lists.slackbuilds.org/mailman/listinfo/slackbuilds-users
> Archives - https://lists.slackbuilds.org/pipermail/slackbuilds-users/
> FAQ - https://slackbuilds.org/faq/
>
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.slackbuilds.org/pipermail/slackbuilds-users/attachments/20260910/e4877510/attachment.htm>


More information about the SlackBuilds-users mailing list