[Slackbuilds-users] deprecation of webkit2gtk
Willy Sudiarto Raharjo
willysr at slackbuilds.org
Fri Sep 11 00:04:36 UTC 2026
>Is it becoming a security risk to keep around?
>
>I ask because there's a whole bunch of my slackbuilds that depend on
>gnome-online-accounts which that will filter down through. Many of these
>slackbuilds are stuck on older versions on slackware 15.0 due to various
>libraries in 15.0 that are too old. It'll take some time to go through it
>all but the last time I looked into upgrading or migrating these to
>webkit2gtk4.1/libsoup3 I had a ton of problems and package build fails and
>needed more patches than I maintain packages. Shortly after those packages
>came out, gnome upstream migrated to a libsoup3/webkit2gtk stack so I
>expect anything with libsoup2 to break here, even if the underlying deps
>switch over. I'd like to upgrade to newer gnome packages, but then I need a
>bunch of other packages/libraries in stock Slackware to be upgraded to
>newer versions to do that and that's a mess too.
>
>If need be we can drop packages from the repo that I can't upgrade anymore
>along with dropping webkit2gtk, and then when next release comes around I
>can re-add builds (if I feel up to trying to chase fast moving gnome
>packages in a slow moving slackware stable world again!).
Bob, it it possible to bump gnome-* to 43?
it's the minimum version that already uses webkit2gtk4.1
if it's not possible, then at least we can reduce the number of packages that
still depends on webkit2gtk and so far only 4 left out of 20 from 2 days ago,
which is a good progress :)
liferea is tricky. All 1.x release are still at webkit2gtk while the new 2.x
version switch to webkit2gtk4.1 but they require libpeas-2 which breaks ABI
with libpeas 1.x but it requires newer glib, so we can't package them on 15.0.
I think we are stuck with liferea at 1.x for now, but the current version is
outdated. I will try to bump it to newer version with existing webkit2gtk we
have on our repository
--
Willy Sudiarto Raharjo
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 870 bytes
Desc: OpenPGP digital signature
URL: <http://lists.slackbuilds.org/pipermail/slackbuilds-users/attachments/20260911/fca2a834/attachment.asc>
More information about the SlackBuilds-users
mailing list