[Slackbuilds-users] deprecation of webkit2gtk

Willy Sudiarto Raharjo willysr at slackbuilds.org
Sat Sep 12 17:44:57 UTC 2026


>Now with gnome-online-accounts bumped and put on the webkit2gtk4.1/libsoup3
>dependency chain, the following packages are broken:
>
>gnome-control-center   -   crashes immediately at runtime due to mixed
>libsoup2 and libsoup3 symbols. This basically kneecaps the entire gnome
>desktop environment, making gnome-shell fairly useless as a desktop
>environment for users. gnome-shell can still be installed and used to run
>gdm, but if a user tries launching a gnome-shell based desktop from gdm as
>that combination is intended to do, they wont have a functional control
>panel in that desktop environment.
>
>I think the gnome-control-center package will have to be removed until the
>next release where slackware has newer glib2/gtk/gjs/etc libraries that can
>support the gnome desktop environment stack again. I'll have to update my
>build queue repo's readmes and LQ posts with warning messages about the
>breakage. There's other options/repos out there to install the gnome
>desktop now anyway so I could just point others to use that now.
>
>evolution-data-server   -   This fails to build at its current version,
>citing a missing webkit2gtk4.0 package. This webkit2gtk4.0 dependency was
>previously pulled into the build order via gnome-online-accounts being at
>the older version. With the newer version of gnome-online-accounts, this
>build is broken, which will break all further builds with
>evolution-data-server in their dependency chain.
>
>I managed to build evolution-data-server version 3.46.4, which had
>webkit2gtk4.1 supported, but had to switch off some now unsupported options
>in the slackbuild to do that. Then I used that package to continue testing
>against other builds I have that depend on evolution-data-server. I hope
>Ozan is reading this because it's his package and it also will fall through
>to the evolution package he maintains.
>
> I only looked at my builds that need evolution-data-server which are:
>  gnome-maps        <--- still breaks, even with upgrading
>evolution-data-server, need to look if newer version is possible
>  gnome-contacts   <--- runs okay with newer evolution-data-server
>  gnome-calendar   <--- build is broken against newer evolution-data-server
>due to libsoup2/libsoup3, need to look if newer version is possible
>  gnome-shell         <--- builds and runs against the newer
>evolution-data-server, but control panel is broken if used as a regular
>desktop environment, as mentioned earlier
>  gdm                      <--- builds and runs as expected with newer
>evolution-data-server
>  gnome-terminal    <--- builds and runs as expected with newer
>evolution-data-server
>
>So there is a mix of success and failure there. I was keeping those
>packages in the same older gnome versions to keep everything at libsoup2
>dependent versions. Now that gnome-control-center is broken, there's not
>much point to trying to maintain a functional desktop experience and I'll
>look further into if these individual applications can just be bumped to
>newer versions.
>
>The rest of my builds that depend on gnome-online-accounts seem to build
>and run okay with the newer version on webkit2gtk4.1.
>
>To recap what is broken by the gnome-online-accounts changeover, even if
>evolution-data-server gets an update:
>  gnome-control-center
>  gnome-maps
>  gnome-calendar
>Which I'd suggest removal of for now.
>
>Also, regarding gnome-builder:
>The gnome-builder 42.x versions are the latest we can build on slackware
>15.0. Anything newer wants a higher glib2 version, and/or more deps as well
>like needing libdex, which is also version stuck because of glib2's age in
>slackware 15.0. If you are wanting to remove webkit2gtk (4.0), then maybe
>remove this too. I don't use it, I just took over maintenance of a number
>of gnome builds when the prior maintainer left. If someone wants to use it
>in the next slackware version, they will be able to easily build newer
>gnome-builder versions in the next release and can submit the build again
>then.
>
>So that's my findings from this morning's testing against this
>webkit2gtk4.0 deprecation.


Thanks for the thorough investigation on this issue Bob

We hoped that the impact would be minimal, but it turns out worse than what we
expected.

I would suggest to revert goa update back to webkit2gtk, keep gnome-builder as
it is with webkit2gtk and keep gnome-boxes update only since it's still working
well with webkit2gtk4.1.

At least we shrink the number of packages that still depends on webkit2gtk to a
minimum number. We can take a look back on those during development cycle for
next SBo repository.

What do you think?


--
Willy Sudiarto Raharjo
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 870 bytes
Desc: OpenPGP digital signature
URL: <http://lists.slackbuilds.org/pipermail/slackbuilds-users/attachments/20260913/3762ff0c/attachment.asc>


More information about the SlackBuilds-users mailing list