[Slackbuilds-users] deprecation of webkit2gtk

Willy Sudiarto Raharjo willysr at slackbuilds.org
Sat Sep 12 23:24:25 UTC 2026


>My original plan was to just leave all the packages that are stuck with
>dependency on webkit2gtk4.0/libsoup2 (basically anything out of the gnome
>41.x tree), and then was hoping to mass upgrade all that to newer gnome
>versions once we have the next Slackware release as our target on
>slackbuilds.org. This would include the goa/evolution-data-server/evolution
>stack. As the years pass on, I'm not so sure anymore because I am holding
>goa & evolution back with version requirements, but it's been the least
>intrusive. This is why I asked if webkit2gtk truly needed to be dropped, or
>if it can be kept around for legacy reasons.
>
>We could also split off a few "legacy" packages that use the
>webkit2gtk4.0/libsoup2 dependencies to support the older packages, and then
>upgrade the rest to webkit2gtk4.1. Would that be a better alternative? It
>would mean adding more packages to the repo that just get removed at next
>release, but then a newer goa/evolution stack could be upgraded, which I am
>currently holding back from being upgraded with this libsoup*/webkit2gtk*
>mess.
>
>It's unfortunate the slackware-15.0 release (freezing things like glib2 and
>gtk) landed right in the middle of gnome's changeover from libsoup2 to
>libsoup3 and webkit2gtk moving on to 4.1 and 6.0 (and webkit2gtk5.0, which
>was a short lived development version used in the gnome-43 branch, which
>I'm also trying to avoid). It's been a problem I knew would be coming
>eventually and here we are.
>
>I'm happy to provide support for either way you want to take this issue.
>I'd be fine removing gnome-control-center and breaking the desktop
>experience, as I can easily use other desktops like kde or xfce with gnome
>applications. I just don't know who else might use the gnome desktop from
>those packages that this might bother. I'm also fine with adding on some
>legacy type packages to support old stuff while moving what we can onward,
>or just sitting on webkit2gtk4.0/libsoup2 till Slackware 16.0 is here.

The initial idea is to remove webkit2gtk completely, but we know it's kinda
hard since some project are stuck with that and moving to newer webkit2gtk4.1
means adding new requirements that can't be met with Slackware 15.0.

So i guess keeping some of the script at webkit2gtk is the best solution for
now. I have reverted goa changes on my branch so everything will be working
again on next public update. The only changes is gnome-boxes which is updated
to use webkit2gtk4.1.

With Slackware 16.0, we aim to provide webkit2gtk4.1 and webkit2gtk6.0

--
Willy Sudiarto Raharjo
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 870 bytes
Desc: OpenPGP digital signature
URL: <http://lists.slackbuilds.org/pipermail/slackbuilds-users/attachments/20260913/2d8e8e3d/attachment.asc>


More information about the SlackBuilds-users mailing list