[Slackbuilds-users] Annoying XFCE issue with ChatGpt and Claude

Luveh Keraph 1.41421 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 21 20:05:40 UTC 2026


I have built and installed the ChatGPT and Claude desktop applications from
Slackbuilds on my up-to-date Slackware 15.0 system. When I try to launch
either of them by clicking on their respective icons in Menu -> Accessories
my XFCE desktop seizes up. Completely and irretrievably: even the clock
applet in my top panel, which displays seconds, freezes up. The desktop
becomes totally unresponsive to keyboard and mouse events. I cannot even
reach other virtual terminals by means of Ctrl-Alt-F key. Short of
rebooting the system, the only way out consists of ssh'ing from some other
system and kill the desktop by hand.

The thing is, if instead of clicking on those icons I launch the
applications from a terminal emulator, both applications start up without
any problems and my XFCE desktop keeps working with no issues.

Another piece of data: after verifying that the Claude application is
launching properly from a terminal emulator, I tried the following from a
terminal emulator:

   nohup claude-desktop > /dev/null 2>&1 &

This does not cause my XFCE desktop to freeze up, but the application never
starts properly: I just get a white rectangle that stays up indefinitely,
not responding to any mouse nor keyboard events. Since the XFCE desktop is
still active under these circumstance it is easy enough to get rid of the
white rectangle by killing the process above by hand.

Something's obviously awry in the way these applications interact with my
XFCE desktop, but  I have no clue as to what. Any insights on what the
problem could be, and how to fix it would be much appreciated.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.slackbuilds.org/pipermail/slackbuilds-users/attachments/20260921/7489394a/attachment.htm>


More information about the SlackBuilds-users mailing list