[Slackbuilds-users] anyone comtemplating a lightweight vim build?

Alan Hicks alan at lizella.net
Thu Sep 21 19:19:39 UTC 2006

Grant wrote:
> I'd like to speed up vim, take out bidi char support, English only, make it
> into lighter weight editor -- vim 7.0 is noticeably slower then vim 6.3 on
> firewall box (p-mmx/233MHz + 128MB memory)

In general we have a rule not to accept build scripts for software
that's already included in Slackware unless there's a compelling reason
(apache-2 vs. apache-1.3 for example).  I'm not sure what others will
say as to this particular issue.  In general, the rule is sorta applied
case-by-case.  I personally see a few problems and I'll just go ahead
and air them out here.

1- Is it really that big a deal?  If the answer is "yes", well, I won't
object.
2- Assuming we decide to include it, how will we name it?  vim-6.3?
vim-6.3-lightweight? vim-slim?
3- Would it interfere with the default Slackware vim in any way?  I'm
sure this can be addressed by renaming the binary vim-6.3 or something.
 The user can setup his own alias, or change the vi symlink.
4- Make sure that the changes from the default Slackware package are
well documented, including mentioning any features that are present in
the default package, but not in this build.
5- The doinst.sh package shouldn't screw with the default Slackware vim
package or any of its add-ons (like gvim), and it should be thoroughly
tested to ensure that it doesn't screw up anything like gvim.  This is a
big stickler for me.  Even if the others are addressed to my liking, I
won't sign my name to the script(s) if it doesn't pass this rule.

If you think you can solve those satisfactorily (and I see no reason why
you couldn't), then I think you should get to work. :^)

Ecclesiastes 7:5