[Slackbuilds-users] anyone comtemplating a lightweight vim build?

Martin Lefebvre dadexter at gmail.com
Thu Sep 21 19:44:08 UTC 2006

I know this goes against slack packaging standards, and that I'll probably
get my a** flamed, but back before we had vim 7.0 I had made a vim7
package... the binary was called vim7, and I put it in /usr/local/bin (and
properly documented in the slack-desc why it was put there)

On 9/21/06, Alan Hicks <alan at lizella.net> wrote:

> Grant wrote:
> > I'd like to speed up vim, take out bidi char support, English only, make
> it
> > into lighter weight editor -- vim 7.0 is noticeably slower then vim 6.3on
> > firewall box (p-mmx/233MHz + 128MB memory)
>
> In general we have a rule not to accept build scripts for software
> that's already included in Slackware unless there's a compelling reason
> (apache-2 vs. apache-1.3 for example).  I'm not sure what others will
> say as to this particular issue.  In general, the rule is sorta applied
> case-by-case.  I personally see a few problems and I'll just go ahead
> and air them out here.
>
> 1- Is it really that big a deal?  If the answer is "yes", well, I won't
> object.
> 2- Assuming we decide to include it, how will we name it?  vim-6.3?
> vim-6.3-lightweight? vim-slim?
> 3- Would it interfere with the default Slackware vim in any way?  I'm
> sure this can be addressed by renaming the binary vim-6.3 or something.
> The user can setup his own alias, or change the vi symlink.
> 4- Make sure that the changes from the default Slackware package are
> well documented, including mentioning any features that are present in
> the default package, but not in this build.
> 5- The doinst.sh package shouldn't screw with the default Slackware vim
> package or any of its add-ons (like gvim), and it should be thoroughly
> tested to ensure that it doesn't screw up anything like gvim.  This is a
> big stickler for me.  Even if the others are addressed to my liking, I
> won't sign my name to the script(s) if it doesn't pass this rule.
>
> If you think you can solve those satisfactorily (and I see no reason why
> you couldn't), then I think you should get to work. :^)
>
> --
> It is better to hear the rebuke of the wise,
> Than for a man to hear the song of fools.
> Ecclesiastes 7:5

Martin Lefebvre
eMail: dadexter at gmail.com

WWW: http://sigterm.homeunix.com
Registered Linux #349269

"Me? I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to
be dishonest. Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch
out for, because you can never predict when they're going to do
something incredibly... stupid."