[Slackbuilds-users] anyone comtemplating a lightweight vim build?

Robby Workman rworkman at slackbuilds.org
Fri Sep 22 22:08:18 UTC 2006

Alan Hicks wrote:
> Grant wrote:
>> I'd like to speed up vim, take out bidi char support, English only, make it
>> into lighter weight editor -- vim 7.0 is noticeably slower then vim 6.3 on
>> firewall box (p-mmx/233MHz + 128MB memory)
>
> In general we have a rule not to accept build scripts for software
> that's already included in Slackware unless there's a compelling reason
> (apache-2 vs. apache-1.3 for example).  I'm not sure what others will
> say as to this particular issue.  In general, the rule is sorta applied
> case-by-case.  I personally see a few problems and I'll just go ahead
> and air them out here. <SNIPPED>

Hmmm... yeah, this is a good one...

I have to admit that in my case, the answer would be:
   removepkg vim  (use elvis)
However, I also realize that old habits die hard.  :)

Note that this should not be construed as either de jure or de
facto acceptance of such an effort, but I think that it would be
very possible given that Alan's concerns are addressed.  To be a
bit more specific on two of them, the name and install prefix are
most important so far as I can tell.  For install prefix, about
the only way to prevent interference with the default Slackware
package would be to use --prefix=/opt/vim-lite or something along
those lines.  I guess I addressed the name too, right?  :)

RW

--

http://slackbuilds.org