[Slackbuilds-users] anyone comtemplating a lightweight vim build?

Grant g_r_a_n_t_ at dodo.com.au
Fri Sep 22 23:16:40 UTC 2006

On Fri, 22 Sep 2006 17:08:18 -0500, Robby Workman <rworkman at slackbuilds.org> wrote:

>Alan Hicks wrote:
>> Grant wrote:
>>> I'd like to speed up vim, take out bidi char support, English only, make it
>>> into lighter weight editor -- vim 7.0 is noticeably slower then vim 6.3 on
>>> firewall box (p-mmx/233MHz + 128MB memory)
>>
>> In general we have a rule not to accept build scripts for software
>> that's already included in Slackware unless there's a compelling reason
>> (apache-2 vs. apache-1.3 for example).  I'm not sure what others will
>> say as to this particular issue.  In general, the rule is sorta applied
>> case-by-case.  I personally see a few problems and I'll just go ahead
>> and air them out here. <SNIPPED>
>

>Hmmm... yeah, this is a good one...
>
>I have to admit that in my case, the answer would be:
>   removepkg vim  (use elvis)
>However, I also realize that old habits die hard.  :)

I'm using vim to get syntax highlighting in a CLI editor, I used to
use NEdit over VNC -- but NEdit doesn't seem to do truetype?  Or maybe
I need to uninstall 75 dpi fonts -- the thing's fugly right now.

I'm rusty with X11 apps and admin.

>  For install prefix, about
>the only way to prevent interference with the default Slackware
>package would be to use --prefix=/opt/vim-lite or something along
>those lines.  I guess I addressed the name too, right?  :)

vim-slim, it rhymes, vs for short (just checked, no 'vs' ;)  If I
get a round tuit, it'd go in /usr/local and thus not interfere with
normal vim.  Me a heretic?

/opt/?  There too, since this is an adjunct idea, not a replacement,
I need to get a cut down version running to see if the idea gonna fly.

Been putting up with the beast for 2 1/2 years...  Vim7 is slower still,
for the matching bracket highlighter :(

Grant.
--
http://bugsplatter.mine.nu/