[Slackbuilds-users] SlackBuilds.org repository

Daniel de Kok danieldk at pobox.com
Tue Feb 6 15:55:45 UTC 2007

Hi guys,

First of all, I'd like to thank you all for the excellent work on SBo!

Could you consider making SBo available as a Mercurial repository? This
would have some nice advantages:

- Quick dowloads of updates as an alternative to rsync.
- The possibility to get logs and diffs of changes between versions.
- The possibility to revert to older versions of a SlackBuild.
- Making it a lot easier to keep/maintain local changes (e.g. if
   I have local PostgreSQL modifications, a "hg pull" would merge
   upstream updates with my local changes).
- For those of us who submit SlackBuilds, it is easier to quickly
   see what changes were made compared to the SBo repository. This
   may be easier for you too, because you could get updates as diffs,
   which will usually be short.

Especially the first four points can be of tremendous help for those
(including me) who have to maintain package sets for production systems.
And after all, Mercurial is in Slackware now :).

-- Daniel