[Slackbuilds-users] XMMS SlackBuild?

Niki Kovacs contact at kikinovak.net
Sun Jul 22 11:05:17 UTC 2007

Hi,

Starting with 12.0, good old XMMS has been replaced with Audacious.

IMHO, it's a fine piece of software, but there are - at least for now -
several drawbacks.

1) It doesn't read .wav files.
2) It crashes on many .wma files. I know, messy format, but for example,
my wife has a digital voice recorder for her work, it uses the .wma
format. She's been trying Audacious for some time, and it's pretty much
unusable for transcribing interviews.
3) Localisation - at least in French - is poor to nonexistent.

On the other hand, XMMS is still great for everything audio, especially
in light desktop environments.

Is SBo interested in a series of SlackBuilds for XMMS and its various
plugins? The SlackBuild from 11.0 doesn't compile on 12.0, but I've been
using the one from slacky.eu, it builds OK and the app has some nice
additional features like a nice set of skins. Only I think the script
has to be cleaned up.

I offer to do that in the next days. Tell me if you are interested.

Cheers,

Niki