[Slackbuilds-users] Orphaned slackbuilds

Robby Workman rworkman at slackbuilds.org
Fri Nov 2 04:59:39 UTC 2007

Niki Kovacs wrote:
> Michael Wagner a écrit :
>> Michael Wagner wrote:
>>> Hey,
>>>
>>> as my spare time is reduced, I am looking for somebody else who takes
>>> care of the following build scripts:
>>>

>> It seems as if I have to keep working on them. Not a big problem though.
>>
> A thought on updates. Slackware is not Gentoo. Say you make package
> foobar-1.0.3 available for Slackware on SBo. IMHO it's not a big deal if
> folks are still one version behind when foobar-1.0.4 comes out. I'd say
> a good time to check for available updates is when a new Slackware
> release (12.1?) comes out.
>
> Recently I've seen a guy using Gentoo, and he spent most of his time
> updating and recompiling things. You don't want to do that, do you?

That's quite a valid point, to be honest.
There's not much good reason to update a script when the *only*
change required is to the VERSION string.
When something else has to be changed for it to build a newer
version of the app, then YES - we definitely want an updated
script - otherwise, if it's just a simple VERSION change to
build a proper package, then why bother?

I realize that there are users out there who will look at our
version numbers and then look at the version numbers at some
other places, and who will then conclude that since we're
"out of date" that they should go with the other guys, but the
way I see it, it's their loss.

Just my two cents from a personal standpoint - not speaking for
the project team as a whole...

-RW