[Slackbuilds-users] Orphaned slackbuilds

Michael Wagner lapinours at web.de
Fri Nov 2 18:14:52 UTC 2007

Niki Kovacs wrote:
> A thought on updates. Slackware is not Gentoo. Say you make package
> foobar-1.0.3 available for Slackware on SBo. IMHO it's not a big deal if
> folks are still one version behind when foobar-1.0.4 comes out. I'd say
> a good time to check for available updates is when a new Slackware
> release (12.1?) comes out.

This is indeed a valid point. SlackBuilds.org shouldn't try to provide
the latest and greatest version of each program.

Nevertheless, even minor updates may get time consuming if you check the
following issues:
- is it a security update or are there any annoying bugs fixed?
- is the former version still available for download?
- are there any additional dependencies?

Greetings,

Michael