[Slackbuilds-users] Script for SciPy?

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sat Nov 24 22:46:02 UTC 2007

On Sat, 24 Nov 2007, Audrius Kaukauskas wrote:

> Well, it's not so simple as it seems. You need ATLAS to build SciPy, and
> when building ATLAS you have to build a complete LAPACK library as told in
> SciPy FAQ:

   ATLAS, LAPACK, and BLAS are already installed. And g77 is standard with
Slackware-11.0

> Not to mention that ATLAS and LAPACK require Fortran compiler.  All I
> can say, that it's a real PITA.

   Nah. Takes a bit of time, but it's very straight-forward.

> Besides, matplotlib doesn't require SciPy, only NumPy. If you're not
> going to do some serious math, I think you'll be fine without SciPy.

   I use a couple of SciPy functions (e.g,. eig()) but not for plotting.

   So, if I understand you correctly, I should just ./configure; make; make
install the latest scipy to upgrade the installed version and not bother
with a Slackbuild script. Works for me.

Thanks,

Rich