[Slackbuilds-users] Script for SciPy?

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sun Nov 25 15:03:51 UTC 2007

On Sun, 25 Nov 2007, Aleksandar B. Samardzic wrote:

> Thanks for heads-up for new NumPy version - I posted updated NumPy and
> matplotlib scripts, one could find them at:
>  http://www.slackbuilds.org/pending/numpy.tar.gz
>  http://www.slackbuilds.org/pending/matplotlib.tar.gz
> Besides updating NumPy version, an important bug is fixed in both
> SlackBuild scripts - previous versions weren't using SLKCFLAGS at
> all...

   Thank you, Alex. I'll get them and use them for the next releases.

> As for ATLAS - I'm using it too, for some other work, but am simply
> using pre-compiled builds  from:
>  https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=23725
> Seems like for 3.8.0, for now only versions for Core 2 Duo processors
> are available, but this is what all of us are running these days
> anyway, right?  In any case, if using this version, it is important to
> build NumPy/matplotlib packages first, and install ATLAS afterwards.

   I'll save this information. While the chip vendors are pushing dual-core
chips, most of us don't need them on our servers, workstations, or
portables. My Sony Vaio notebook runs on a P4/2G CPU, and that's plenty fast
for everything I do with it.

   I don't think that I'll need ATLAS, BLAS, LAPACK, or SciPy on this
application. That removes a lot of maintenance for me.

Rich