[Slackbuilds-users] Problems with system permissions getting changed

Robby Workman rworkman at slackbuilds.org
Mon Oct 15 21:55:29 UTC 2007

John Ingersoll wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've installed two packages from slackbuilds and experienced the same
> problem both times .
>
> The most recent install was ppracer. After both installations, I noticed
> my user account didn't have permissions to do some of the simplest
> tasks, e.g., `ls'.

We don't have ppracer in our repo, so this was not from us.
What was the other?

> It was because Permissions on the following directories got changed to
> 750 root:root  :
> /  /usr  /usr/bin  /usr/doc  /usr/share
>
> In the SlackBuild file there is:
>
> <code>
> chown -R root:root .
> chmod -R a-s,u+w,go-w+r .
> </code>
>
> which is taking place in /tmp/SBo... ok no problem there ...
>   ... and in fact after the build these dirs (/ /usr...) permissions
> were ok. (At first I thought chown / chmod -R were recursing upwards,
> i.e. hitting "..": I always set GLOBIGNORE='.:..' in my profile to keep
> myself from doing this with chown -R *)
>
> ... It was in fact after installpkg that these (/ /usr ...) above got
> changed.
>
> Is it absolutely necessary to set ownership/permissions that way in the
> build? Or do I have something configured wrong that makes the installpkg
> behave strange? I.e. overwriting the permissions when it copies
> directories (i've used installpkg / pkgtool a number of times with .tgz
> files without this happening)

It sounds like the package has incorrect permisssions on the /usr,
/usr/bin, /usr/doc, and /usr/share (and perhaps other) directories.
This should not happen.
If this is occurring in a package that was built from something we
have in our repo, then please advise.  If it was from someone else's
build script (as appears to be the case), then tell them. :-)

RW