[Slackbuilds-users] Problems with system permissions getting changed

John Ingersoll jh.ingersoll at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 22:29:07 UTC 2007

On 10/15/07, Robby Workman <rworkman at slackbuilds.org> wrote:

> John Ingersoll wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've installed two packages from slackbuilds and experienced the same
> > problem both times .
> >
> > The most recent install was ppracer. After both installations, I noticed
> > my user account didn't have permissions to do some of the simplest
> > tasks, e.g., `ls'.
>

> We don't have ppracer in our repo, so this was not from us.

http://slackbuilds.org/repository/11.0/games/ppracer/
http://slackbuilds.org/slackbuilds/11.0/games/ppracer.tar.gz

Sorry I should have said I'm still running Slack11

What was the other?

tuxtype2 (also SW11: and that occured several months back)

> It was because Permissions on the following directories got changed to
> > 750 root:root  :
> > /  /usr  /usr/bin  /usr/doc  /usr/share
> >
> > In the SlackBuild file there is:
> >
> > <code>
> > chown -R root:root .
> > chmod -R a-s,u+w,go-w+r .
> > </code>
> >
> > which is taking place in /tmp/SBo... ok no problem there ...
> >   ... and in fact after the build these dirs (/ /usr...) permissions
> > were ok. (At first I thought chown / chmod -R were recursing upwards,
> > i.e. hitting "..": I always set GLOBIGNORE='.:..' in my profile to keep
> > myself from doing this with chown -R *)
> >
> > ... It was in fact after installpkg that these (/ /usr ...) above got
> > changed.
> >
> > Is it absolutely necessary to set ownership/permissions that way in the
> > build? Or do I have something configured wrong that makes the installpkg
> > behave strange? I.e. overwriting the permissions when it copies
> > directories (i've used installpkg / pkgtool a number of times with .tgz
> > files without this happening)
>

> It sounds like the package has incorrect permisssions on the /usr,
> /usr/bin, /usr/doc, and /usr/share (and perhaps other) directories.
> This should not happen.

The easiest thing would be to change the SlackBuild file so the chown &
chmod set permissions like my current system. But I'd really like to know
what installpkg uses to copy the files : why it overrides existing
permissions.

If this is occurring in a package that was built from something we