[Slackbuilds-users] sbopkg 0.0.5 released

Bob Lounsbury boblounsbury at gmail.com
Sun Apr 6 17:00:35 EDT 2008

On Sun, Apr 6, 2008 at 1:29 PM, Chess Griffin <chess at chessgriffin.com> wrote:
> Bob Lounsbury wrote:
>

> > >  Are you doing this as root or regular user?
> > >

> > As a regular user. Should it be done as root?a
> >

>  you can set it to maintain a local repo in your home user's directory and
> as long as your normal user has write permissions, then you should be able
> to edit etc.  But building pkgs requires the script be run as root since SBo
> Slackbuilds are intended to be run as root.

Right. Because I left TMP=/tmp which is owned by root.

> > > What is the output of 'echo $EDITOR' for the user running sbopkg?
> > >

> > Strange. I just get a blank line. Nothing is listed. I guess that's
> > the problem. So, how do I set the system/user editor?
> >

>  Ah, then it's working -- you're just being dumped into vi!  :-)  hence the
> no menu bar at the bottom.  Do ':q' to quit
>
>  You can temporarily change your $EDITOR by doing 'EDITOR=/usr/bin/nano' and
> you can add that to your .bashrc with other environmental variables if you
> want to make it permanent.

Well, I went to root tried running EDITOR=/usr/bin/nano but it still
defaulted to vi. So I googled and it said to put 'export
VISUAL=/usr/bin/nano' into /etc/profile to set nano as the system
default. I restarted and it still defaulted to vi. So, I then changed
VISUAL to EDITOR in /etc/profile and restarted and whoala it worked. I
edited the slackbuild script and built the package successfully.

>  --
>  Chess Griffin
>  GPG Key:  0x0C7558C3
>  http://www.chessgriffin.com

>  Please read the FAQ - http://slackbuilds.org/faq/

Thanks for the quick responses and help! Maybe a small blurb about
setting the default editor  could be added to (for us ignorant newbies
:-}, that have no idea how to use vi; or maybe an option in the sbopkg
setup that allows you to choose your default editor):

http://www.binrev.com/forums/index.php?automodule=blog&blogid=5&showentry=54

Any plans to allow automatic installation of packages if someone so
desired? Maybe even automatic install that checks to upgradepkg if not
then installpkg. Not that's it's real difficult to switch to /tmp and
install or upgrade, it would just make it more of a one stop shop that
even my Mom could do.

Thanks for creating sbopkg! It's a great addition to a great distro.

/Bob