[Slackbuilds-users] error 1 b43-fwcutter.Slackbuild

Bert Babington bert.babington at gmail.com
Thu Aug 21 21:30:55 UTC 2008

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 00:38:04 -0500
"Mr. Turkey Vulture" <mr.turkeyvulture at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello all.  I've been running linux for six weeks now, and just made
> the switch from ubuntu to slackware.  When I run
> b43-fwcutter.Slackbuild, the program finishes with Error 1.  The four
> worst lines of output are:
>
> /usr/bil/gcc/i486-slackware-linux/4.2.3/../../../crt1.o: In function
> '_start':
> (text+0xc): undefined reference to '__libc_csu_fini'
> /usr/bil/gcc/i486-slackware-linux/4.2.3/../../../crt1.o: In function
> '_start':
> (text+0x11): undefined reference to '__libc_csu_init'
>
> Being a simple noob, I haven't gotten my ethernet working yet, so
> I've been getting needed packages through a datastick via my cousin's
> computer, which runs windows xp.  Therefore, solutions such as "wget
> suchandsuch" wouldn't apply to this situation.  Thank you for your
> time.

First off, you may want to go ahead and try to get that ethernet
working so you have network access of your own.  Unless you have a
really unusual chipset, ethernet is pretty much a plug-and-play setup
for most machines under Slackware.  If you need to change network
settings (DHCP vs. static IP, gateway, etc.), run the 'netconfig'
utility from the command line.  Wireless is frequently much more of a
challenge depending on the hardware.

That said, it looks like you may have an issue with the /usr/lib/crt1.o
file, which is part of the glibc package.  If I recall correctly,
crt1.o is part of the Linux wrapper code that gets linked into any
compiled binary, so you probably won't be able to compile much without
it.  Could just be that the file got damaged somehow, check it out with
the following:

$ ls -l /usr/lib/crt1.o
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2344 2008-04-20 01:05 /usr/lib/crt1.o

$ md5sum /usr/lib/crt1.o
0f9cbe1e1ffba1b6bb75f0e2d85b4df3  /usr/lib/crt1.o

I just reinstalled glibc from one of the primary mirrors (OSU OSL), so
the above values should be the correct ones.  If yours are different,
then that should be the problem.  The easiest solution is just to
reinstall the glibc-2.7-i486-10.tgz package, which you can either
download from one of the mirrors or find in the /slackware/l/ directory
on your installation CD's.

If you reinstall from CD, you should probably check the md5sum on the
package there first, just to make sure the problem wasn't actually with
the copy on your CD.  It should be:
1be4d071fe6d80fdf27fcfc205f031de  ./slackware/l/glibc-2.7-i486-10.tgz

If that doesn't fix it, try attaching the full output from the
SlackBuild script, and maybe we can figure out what the real problem is.

Good luck,
Bert