[Slackbuilds-users] Directory Structure Question

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Dec 12 22:29:46 UTC 2008

On Fri, 12 Dec 2008, Chess Griffin wrote:

> What page are you reading?

Chess,

   <http://www.slackwiki.org/Build_Environment>

> Is this something on the slackbuilds.org site?

   This from jjdm: "/home/slackware/source In this directory I've placed the
whole slackware-source because maybe I have to temporarily build another
package to build a new one because of header files and stuff."

   And this from Robby: "The [code]
/shared/os_files/slackware/slackware-(version)/source/ [/code] directory
contains all of the source files (it's copied directly from the cdroms) from
that release of Slackware."

   Hence, my question.

> You do not need to have the sources off the entire Slackware tree on your
> system in order to build packages from the scripts at SlackBuilds.org.

   That's what I thought.

> A full /binary/ installation of Slackware is recommended (i.e. a 'full
> install' from the DVD or CD) but, other than kernel modules, I am not
> aware of anything in the SBo repository that requires any other sources
> (other than the source of the software you are building and its
> dependencies, of course).

   Well, each time I've upgraded since switching to Slackware-8.0 from Red
Hat-7.3 (more than 5 years ago), I've done an 'upgradepkg --install-new',
then gone back and removed the packages I don't want. But, the kernel source
and all modules for the latest and next-to-latest are present.

Rich