[Slackbuilds-users] Directory Structure Question

Chess Griffin chess at chessgriffin.com
Fri Dec 12 22:49:30 UTC 2008

* Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> [2008-12-12 14:29:46]:

> Chess,
>
>   <http://www.slackwiki.org/Build_Environment>
>
>> Is this something on the slackbuilds.org site?
>
>   This from jjdm: "/home/slackware/source In this directory I've placed the
> whole slackware-source because maybe I have to temporarily build another
> package to build a new one because of header files and stuff."
>
>   And this from Robby: "The [code]
> /shared/os_files/slackware/slackware-(version)/source/ [/code] directory
> contains all of the source files (it's copied directly from the cdroms) from
> that release of Slackware."
>
>   Hence, my question.

Ah, yes, I see.  I think those are just personal preferences for
package development that are not really necessary for using the
scripts at SBo.

>> A full /binary/ installation of Slackware is recommended (i.e. a 'full
>> install' from the DVD or CD) but, other than kernel modules, I am not
>> aware of anything in the SBo repository that requires any other sources
>> (other than the source of the software you are building and its
>> dependencies, of course).
>
>   Well, each time I've upgraded since switching to Slackware-8.0
>   from Red Hat-7.3 (more than 5 years ago), I've done an 'upgradepkg
>   --install-new', then gone back and removed the packages I don't
>   want. But, the kernel source and all modules for the latest and
>   next-to-latest are present.

Sounds like you are good to go.  :-)

--
Chess Griffin                         |     ()  ascii ribbon campaign
public key: 0x84F0D7B6                |     /\  www.asciiribbon.org