[Slackbuilds-users] An issue with fbpanel.SlackBuild

Mikhail Zotov mikhail.ru at gmail.com
Wed Dec 17 11:05:35 UTC 2008

Hello SlackBuild gurus :-)

I think, there's an issue with desktop/fbpanel.SlackBuild script.

The script uses

./configure \
  --prefix=$PKG/usr

As a result, the binary is linked to plugins (shared objects) located in
$PKG/usr/share/fbpanel/plugins  A similar path (including /tmp/SBo/...)
gets included into text config files.  Thus, fbpanel installed from the
package stops working as soon as the build directory is removed.

AFAICT, the problems relates to a poorly written Makefile that doesn't
have DESTDIR.

A straightforward (though definitely not a smart one) way to fix the
problem is to use --prefix=/usr and just move all fbpanel-related
files to a directory where the package is to be built.

Regards,
Mikhail

P.S. On an issue not related to fbpanel.  I think, you are doing a great
work, men.  I also think your SlackBuild scripts have greatly improved
since the first release and are almost perfect. Still, there's probably
one more thing that can be handy if included in build scripts.  This is a check whether the source package exists. If not, call wget to download it.
This is what is done in build scripts by Corrado Franco
(http://www.slackers.it/repository/)

--
After living in New York, you trust nobody, but you believe
everything.  Just in case.