[Slackbuilds-users] An issue with fbpanel.SlackBuild

Robby Workman rw at rlworkman.net
Wed Dec 17 19:06:25 UTC 2008

On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 14:05:35 +0300
Mikhail Zotov <mikhail.ru at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello SlackBuild gurus :-)
>
> I think, there's an issue with desktop/fbpanel.SlackBuild script.
>
> The script uses
>
> ./configure \
>   --prefix=$PKG/usr
>
> As a result, the binary is linked to plugins (shared objects) located
> in $PKG/usr/share/fbpanel/plugins  A similar path
> (including /tmp/SBo/...) gets included into text config files.  Thus,
> fbpanel installed from the package stops working as soon as the build
> directory is removed.

Ugh.

> AFAICT, the problems relates to a poorly written Makefile that doesn't
> have DESTDIR.

Definitely.  I've been trying to send patches upstream for these as I
find them, but I'm swamped at the moment (for obvious reasons).  If
anyone else feels froggy, by all means, jump!  ;-)

> A straightforward (though definitely not a smart one) way to fix the
> problem is to use --prefix=/usr and just move all fbpanel-related
> files to a directory where the package is to be built.

Even better:

./configure --prefix=/usr --cpu=on
make
make install PREFIX=$PKG/usr

That ^^ should handle it.  I'm looking into it now.

> P.S. On an issue not related to fbpanel.  I think, you are doing a
> great work, men.  I also think your SlackBuild scripts have greatly
> improved since the first release and are almost perfect.

Thanks!  :)

> there's probably one more thing that can be handy if included in
> build scripts.  This is a check whether the source package exists. If
> not, call wget to download it. This is what is done in build scripts
> by Corrado Franco (http://www.slackers.it/repository/)

Nah, we're not going to include that.  It's easy enough for an admin to
automate that process, especially with something like sbopkg.

-RW