[Slackbuilds-users] QT4

Darrell Anderson humanreadable at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 26 02:31:07 UTC 2008

Hi Folks,

How about adding a forewarning to the QT4 page? Compiling on my box, a dual core AM2 2.3 GHz BE-2400 with 4GB RAM, required 86 minutes. Woof, that's almost 1-1/2 hours! I used to compile packages on a 350 MHz PII and compiling QT4 on such a box would take what to compile? A week? :-)

The process also needs almost 2 GB of temporary storage space. How many people have a temp space or partition that big? I suspect only a minority.

In addition to an open warning, perhaps add a test in the build script to halt the build if $TMP does not contain at least 2GB of available space.

I needed only a second attempt to compile but a warning on the QT4 page would have been nice:

Warning: Compiling this package requires almost 2 GB of temporary storage space. On a mid-range dual core CPU the build will require approximately 90 minutes to compile. The final package will be large at about 100 MB.

Just a thought. :-)

Darrell Anderson
http://humanreadable.nfshost.com/