[Slackbuilds-users] Fwd: bug on openbox package

Chess Griffin chess at chessgriffin.com
Sun Jul 6 03:07:27 UTC 2008

On Sat, Jul 5, 2008 at 5:20 PM, Phillip Warner <pc_warner at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Yes, the stock openbox.desktop file from the kdebase package should execute openbox-session.  However, the problem is more than that.  The new kdm doesn't seem to make use of the .desktop files under /usr/share/xsessions/, which is where Openbox puts them by default.  Thus, in order for the Slackware 12.1 Openbox slackBuild to work properly with KDM, the openbox*.desktop files under there must either be moved or have a corresponding symlink in /usr/share/apps/kdm/sessions/ (the latter is probably better in case someone is using something other than kdm).  The default location was fine in the kdm in Slackware 12.0.

Phil,

Thanks for your very helpful explanation.  I do see the issue and
agree with your proposed solutions.  I also think we definitely do not
want to overwrite any stock Slackware files and at the same time
preserve the ability to use the SlackBuild for those that do not use
KDE or KDM.  I also like your suggestion to have both the
xinitrc.openbox-session and xinitrc.openbox setup as originally
intended by the Openbox developers.  If I understand your solution
correctly, we would need to (1) create a new xinitrc-session.desktop
file and install it into the default Openbox location along with the
other Openbox *desktop files (2) symlink all the Openbox *desktop
files including the new xinitrc-session.desktop file to the KDM
location and (3) create a new xinitrc.openbox-session file along with
the current xinitrc.openbox that already comes with the SlackBuild?
Since we already include a xinitrc.openbox file in the SlackBuild, I
assume then the stock openbox.desktop file works ok for someone who
does not want to launch an Openbox session but just straight Openbox?
In any event, yes, if you have the time to send your modifications to
the SlackBuild and related files that would be great.  Otherwise, I'll
try and work on this during the coming week.

In the meantime, I'll install KDE and KDM on one of my Slack machines
so I can test and get a better feel for what KDM is doing behind the
scenes.  I've never been a graphical login kind of person, which is
why it's taken me longer than normal to get the issue here.  It has
nothing to do with the fact that I'm about to turn 40 or the loss of
brain cells from one too many pints of Guinness in my youth.  At
least, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Thanks again for your help, Phil, and to Bruno for the original bug report.

--
Chess Griffin
GPG Public Key: 0x0C7558C3