[Slackbuilds-users] sip conflicts with kdeaddon

Aleksandar B. Samardzic asamardzic at gmail.com
Fri Mar 7 05:16:12 EST 2008

On Fri, Mar 7, 2008 at 10:27 AM, ciol <ciol13 at gmail.com> wrote:
> The following files are both installed by sip (sbo) and kdeaddon
>  (slackware):
>
>  usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/sip.so
>  usr/include/python2.5/sip.h
>  usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/sipconfig.py
>  usr/bin/sip

I'm sip SlackBuild maintainer, thanks for the problem report.  The
Slackware package in question seems to be kdebindings, not kdeaddons;
indeed it already contains all non-doc files that are installed
through the sip SlackBuild, and I wasn't aware of that before at all.
The simplest resolution of the problem would be just to remove sip
SlackBuild from SBo.org, and to remove statement of dependency on sip
in README file of pyqt4 SlackBuild (sip is here because it is needed
for PyQt4).  However, there is a subtle issue here: sip and PyQt4
development are intertwined, and fresh builds of PyQt4 always need
latest sip, while on the other side kdebindings doesn't seem to by
fetching in sip that often.  For example, I'm tracking
slackware-current, and at the moment I have kdebindings 3.5.9 (last
updated by Pat at 02/29) installed; however, this package contains
rather old (4.6) sip version, while sip 4.7.2 or newer is required to
build latest PyQt4.  On the other side, sip functionality needed for
generating Python bindings for Qt 3, that is the reason why sip is
included in KDE 3 kdebindings package after all, is rather stable, so
it's understandable that KDE guys feel no urge to update to recent sip
code.

So, I'm really not sure what to do here...  Obviously, I was working
with sip package overwriting kdebindings installed files, and I
encountered no problems so far, but I'm using Python Qt bindings only
for my work, not KDE bindings, so I'm not sure is there a possibility
for any harm from alike overwriting; in any case, overwriting is
definitely not something that a SlackBuild should do.  So, the best
solution that I could think of would be to suggest to have both sip
and pyqt4 SlackBuilds temporarily removed.  Since nobody complained in
the meantime about wrong link to PyQt4 source tarball from pyqt4
SlackBuild page (PyQt4 guys seems to be hosting latest version tarball
only at their site), I guess that pyqt4 saw no much use anyway, so not
much harm would be made by removing it; on the other side, I'll
probably wait until KDE 4 included in Slackware (hopefully later this
year), in which case kdebindings will have to contain fresh sip
version, and then I'll update and repost this pyqt4 SlackBuild here.

So - Robby, or someone else: any further suggestion on this?  If not,
would you have these SlackBuilds removed?

Alex

PS. Albeit am big fan of all Qt and everything related, must confess
that this practice of having same names for programs and sometimes
other stuff in both Qt 3 and Qt 4, that obviously crept into related
packages, was really a fiasco...