[Slackbuilds-users] JOBS variable support, and Slamd64 patches handling

Carlos Corbacho carlos at strangeworlds.co.uk
Sun Mar 23 08:11:36 EDT 2008

On Sunday 23 March 2008 11:34:57 Aleksandar Samardzic wrote:
> 1. As for JOBS variable support, the idea is to have variable defined
> at the start of SlackBuild as follows:
>   JOBS=${JOBS:1}
> and then to change "make" invocation to:
>   make -j ${JOBS}
> with the intention to allow to users having multi-core machines to
> speed-up compilation times significally. This is actually something
> that I intended to suggest to adding to SlackBuild script template
> long time ago, so - any opinions?

Obviously, I'm in favour of this :). (In cases where this breaks things, I'd
like to see the maintainers put a note in the SlackBuild that this is the
case so that they don't get plagued by helpful souls trying to keep adding
multiple job support to a given SlackBuild, but that should only be for a
minority of cases).

> to include them and state
> directly that other person is responsible regarding all Slamd64
> related issues,

I'm happy with this kind of arrangement - after all, I don't expect the
maintainer of a given SlackBuild to have to take responsibility for my
additions (and SBo only guarantees a given SlackBuild will work for a given
Slackware release on x86; anything on top of that is an added bonus/ optional
extra).

Something making it clear in the SlackBuild itself that support for X, Y, Z
etc is the responsibility of someone else would be fine by me.

> to have them hosted separately (maybe also here at
> SBo) and only point to them from README files,... ?

This would end up with needless duplication, since 99% of such SlackBuild's
would otherwise be identical.

-Carlos
E-Mail: carlos at strangeworlds.co.uk
Web: strangeworlds.co.uk