[Slackbuilds-users] JOBS variable support, and Slamd64 patches handling

Aleksandar Samardzic asamardzic at gmail.com
Sun Mar 23 07:34:57 EDT 2008

Just received patches for my qt4, sip and pyqt4 SlackBuilds from
Carlos Corbacho (thanks, Carlos!), adding support for JOBS variable in
these scripts, and extending them to work for Slamd64.  Am not sure
how to handle these, though, so I'd like to hear some opinions:

1. As for JOBS variable support, the idea is to have variable defined
at the start of SlackBuild as follows:
  JOBS=${JOBS:1}
and then to change "make" invocation to:
  make -j ${JOBS}
with the intention to allow to users having multi-core machines to
speed-up compilation times significally. This is actually something
that I intended to suggest to adding to SlackBuild script template
long time ago, so - any opinions?

2. I was thinking that no direct support for Slamd64 is offered here
at SBo, however while searching to find is there any other SlackBuild
employing above described JOBS mechanism, I found that for example
wine SlackBuild supports both this mechanism and Slamd64...  So I
guess it may be OK to apply Carlos patches to my SlackBuilds; on the
other side, I don't have any Slamd64 installation accessible, and
don't have plans for making one on my own machine, thus I would prefer
not to take maintainership  for something alike.  Again - any
suggestion here: to not include patches, to include them and state
directly that other person is responsible regarding all Slamd64
related issues, to have them hosted separately (maybe also here at
SBo) and only point to them from README files,... ?

Regards,
Alex