[Slackbuilds-users] devede and mplayer

Tim King datimmay at gmail.com
Thu May 22 15:50:37 UTC 2008

I didn't see anything about this, and it took me a bit to figure out so I
thought I'd send a mail to the list to let you know about a slight problem,
that I had at least, with the package created from the mplayer slackbuild
from slackbuilds.org.

When I'd try to run devede (also packaged from slackbuilds) it would run
just fine, up until I tried to add a video file to the list (any video). The
videos played just fine in smplayer/mplayer and checking output from devede
showed that they just weren't being recognized as a video file. I sent a few
mails to the devede developer and we talked back and forth a few times
trying to figure it out, but all the problem ended up being was one of the
configure options:  --enable-color-console.  It was adding extra output that
made devede unable to parse the identification info properly is all.
Removing that option from the build script got everything working fine again
:)

I understand that it's not really a problem with mplayer, and I mailed the
devede devel again this morning to let them know what the problem on my end
was. I'm not sure what they're planning on doing about it (adding support
for the extra output or recommending folks to not use that option in their
mplayer build) but I thought it would be nice to let other slackers using
these apps about a potential problem. Anyway that's about it :)

Regards,
Tim