[Slackbuilds-users] Package Build Issues

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Feb 2 00:23:26 UTC 2009

On Sun, 1 Feb 2009, Robby Workman wrote:

> Based on the prior troubles you've had, I've noticed a common thread: all
> of them involved restoring stuff from a backup tape.  This is going to
> come across a bit "asshole-ish," and I'll go ahead and apologize in
> advance for that, but...  I think you need to reconsider the way you're
> doing things, as it's obviously not ideal.

Robby,

   This has not been an issue from 8.0 through 11.0. Even the upgrades to
12.0 and 12.1 worked. So, if it's something I did on the upgrade to 12.2
then I really need to learn what is different. Over the years I have
restored from the backup tapes several times (new hard drives, change from
Red Hat-7.3 to Slackware-8.0) without any problems.

   How does restoring business applications from the backup tape affect
building libraries from souce? Am I supposed to rebuild LyX, PostgreSQL,
SQL-Ledger, and all the other applications I use for business because the
underlying distribution has been upgraded?

> I can only suggest two things:
> 1) upgradepkg --reinstall --install-new *everything*

   On both machines I ran
upgradepkg --install-new <everything>

> 2) if (1) fails, clean install

   I've done the latter at least 5 times.

> If (2) becomes necessary, DO NOT "restore" anything from a backup
> tape.

   Sorry. I cannot kill my business by not having applications and data
available.

> If you find that you often need the same stuff on multiple systems
> (which seems to be the case), then either get a dedicated build box
> with a package set that's common to *all* of your other machines, build
> the stuff there, and save the packages somewhere for installation on
> the other systems.

   I've always upgraded my notebook first since it's not as critical as the
desktop. The upgrade from 12.1 to 12.2 worked just fine on the notebook. I
could not anticipate why it wouldn't work as smoothly on the desktop ...
just as the prior upgrades went smoothly on both machines.

   And apologies for posting on both lists.

Rich