[Slackbuilds-users] Package Build Issues

Robby Workman rw at rlworkman.net
Sun Feb 1 23:41:57 UTC 2009

Rich:

For future reference, if you're going to post to multiple lists, just
CC them; that way, all responses can stay together, and responders
won't suggest things that have already been suggested elsewhere...

On Sun, 1 Feb 2009 15:15:31 -0800 (PST) Rich Shepard
<rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 1 Feb 2009, Chess Griffin wrote:
>
> > I can confirm that the wxGTK SlackBuild works fine on a full
> > install of Slackware 12.2 -- I just did it today.  :-)
>
>    That's encouraging, Chess.

I can confirm that wxGTK builds just fine here as well.

> > Is this a full clean install of Slackware 12.2?  If not, what is not
> > installed?  And if it's an upgrade, what did you upgrade from?
>
>    It's a clean installation with data and other applications
> restored from the backup tape.

Based on the prior troubles you've had, I've noticed a common thread:
all of them involved restoring stuff from a backup tape.  This is going
to come across a bit "asshole-ish," and I'll go ahead and apologize in
advance for that, but...  I think you need to reconsider the way you're
doing things, as it's obviously not ideal.

> I've had two weeks of the
> server/workstation being down; this past week because it just would
> not boot into any kernel I built. There was something in /etc that
> was overwritten by an earlier file on the tape, apparently because
> the mtime of the tape file was newer than that of the
> freshly-installed file. Friday night and Saturday morning I carefully
> did a file-by-file restore of /etc and the system now boots into the
> 2.6.27.7-generic-smp kernel. When I redid the full install Friday
> from the 12.2 distribution disks, I put everything from disks 1 and 2
> on, but only kdebase and kdelibs because I run Xfce, not KDE.
>
>    The original attempt was an upgrade from a working 12.1 system to
> 12.2. FWIW, a Slackware-experienced SysAdmin duplicated my problems
> on a virtual machine on which he installed -12.2 (his servers are
> still running -11.0), but his solution didn't apply to my situation.
>
>    Regardless, I'm up and running and trying to figure out why wxGTK
> cannot find the installed gtk+2.
>
>    What information can I provide? 'uname -a' reports: Linux salmo
> 2.6.27.7-smp #1 SMP Thu Nov 20 22:18:02 CST 2008 i686 AMD Athlon(tm)
> 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4800+ AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux. This
> particular system has run Slackware since September 2007 when it
> replaced my former server/workstation.
>
>    I would like to get wxGTK and tinyerp-client built today so I can
> actually use the application this week.

I can only suggest two things:
1) upgradepkg --reinstall --install-new *everything*
2) if (1) fails, clean install

If (2) becomes necessary, DO NOT "restore" anything from a backup
tape.  Build what you need *on* the new system and install it there.
If you find that you often need the same stuff on multiple systems
(which seems to be the case), then either get a dedicated build box
with a package set that's common to *all* of your other machines, build
the stuff there, and save the packages somewhere for installation on
the other systems.  This will require you to keep all of your other
machines with the same package list, but that shouldn't be a problem --
regardless of whether you actually *need* $somepackage on a particular
system, it won't *hurt* anything by being installed, and you'll get to
greatly simplify your administration burden.

-RW