[Slackbuilds-users] virtualbox-ose-2.1.4 rc script fails

Heinz Wiesinger pprkut at liwjatan.at
Fri Jul 24 10:30:17 UTC 2009

On Thursday 23 July 2009 12:18:15 dae3 wrote:
> Running '/etc/rc.d/rc.vboxdrv setup', one is supposed to be able to
> build and install the 'vboxdrv' kernel module on the fly.
>
> The script however looks for sources in
> '/usr/lib/virtualbox/src/vboxdrv/' while the SlackBuild seems to
> install them into '/usr/src/virtualbox-kernel-2.1.4/vboxdrv'.

I know about this already. Comment further down :)

> Did you change the sources' install location without modifying all
> references to it?

Mmm, sort of.
I still think /usr/src is the most appropriate location for kernel module
sources, that's why I placed them there initially. The vbox-devs implemented
rc.vboxdrv setup way later and went unnoticed until recently.

My position on this is that I'm not going to fix it for 12.2, as it's a non-
issue from my perspective. I see no valid reason an init-script should compile
kernel-modules. Everyone who needs to recompile the kernel module for a newer
kernel can either use the virtualbox-kernel.SlackBuild or go to /usr/src and
build it by hand.

I have it already "fixed" for 13.0 in the form of removing "setup" completely.

Grs,
Heinz