[Slackbuilds-users] virtualbox-ose-2.1.4 rc script fails

dae3 7252d9 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 11:15:44 UTC 2009

Il 24/07/2009 alle 12:30, Heinz Wiesinger ha scritto:

> On Thursday 23 July 2009 12:18:15 dae3 wrote:
[...]
> > Did you change the sources' install location without modifying all
> > references to it?
>
> Mmm, sort of.
> I still think /usr/src is the most appropriate location for kernel module
> sources, that's why I placed them there initially. The vbox-devs implemented
> rc.vboxdrv setup way later and went unnoticed until recently.
>
> My position on this is that I'm not going to fix it for 12.2, as it's a non-
> issue from my perspective. I see no valid reason an init-script should compile
> kernel-modules. Everyone who needs to recompile the kernel module for a newer
> kernel can either use the virtualbox-kernel.SlackBuild or go to /usr/src and
> build it by hand.
>
> I have it already "fixed" for 13.0 in the form of removing "setup" completely.

I don't think that's a good idea. Why don't you simply point the script
to the new location?

The VirtualBox GUI is supposed to be able to call the script, so if it
can't find the kernel module, it can make a new one on the spot.  This
turns out to be very convenient every time the user updates or
recompiles the kernel.

By removing the setup option, you are actually removing useful
functionality from the VirtualBox program.

--
~> cat /etc/*-{version,release}|head -n1 && uname -moprs|fold -sw72
Slackware 12.2.0