[Slackbuilds-users] svn and SlackBuilds

Niels Horn niels.horn at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 02:59:32 UTC 2009

On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 12:39 AM, Robby Workman
<rworkman at slackbuilds.org> wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Sep 2009 23:59:32 -0300
> Niels Horn <niels.horn at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> What's the policy if there is no tarball available for the sources,
>> only an svn repository?

<snip>

> If at all possible, find somewhere that hosts a snapshot (or provide
> a snapshot on a host somewhere that you control).
>
> Maintainers usually provide a short bash script (e.g. get_latest.sh)
> to pull a newer snapshot of the sources and tar them up for easy
> building.  From memory, hdapsd in our repo does something similar.
>
> If nobody hosts a snapshot already, or you don't have anywhere
> to host one, we'll have to figure out something else - that's a
> bridge we haven't had to cross yet.
>
> -RW

OK, I could host the sources as a tarball on my site...
For now I'm still suffering to compile the sources :)
The author has an RPM file, but it depends on an older version of the
'boost' libs and is only 32-bits.

While I am sorting this all out, I have another policy question:

This particular program needs a collection of data files (about 4000
of them, 5MB zipped, 40MB unzipped).
The author offers it as a separate tarball, as the files are the same
for all the *nix flavors.

For a possible SlackBuild, how should this be included?
The tarball offered by the author comes with all files as "chmod 777"
and has no instructions on where to unpack them (actually, any place
works, as long as you point the program there.)

Should I make a separate SlackBuild (like $PRGNAM.SlackBuild +
$PRGNAM-data.SlackBuild) to unpack the tarball in the right location,
setting the right permissions (+r-wx for files, +rx-w for
directories), or should I include this in the SlackBuild for the
program?
The program depends on the files to execute.

Sorry for the basic questions...

Regards,

Niels