[Slackbuilds-users] svn and SlackBuilds

Robby Workman rworkman at slackbuilds.org
Mon Sep 28 03:39:21 UTC 2009

On Sun, 27 Sep 2009 23:59:32 -0300
Niels Horn <niels.horn at gmail.com> wrote:

> What's the policy if there is no tarball available for the sources,
> only an svn repository?
>
> I am thinking of submitting a SlackBuild script for a program that has
> no xxx.tar.gz files to download, only an svn repository where you can
> download a current snapshot or a previous (stable) tagged version.
>
> Should the SlackBuild download the sources (via svn) or should I
> include instructions on how to download them and where to save them?

If at all possible, find somewhere that hosts a snapshot (or provide
a snapshot on a host somewhere that you control).

Maintainers usually provide a short bash script (e.g. get_latest.sh)
to pull a newer snapshot of the sources and tar them up for easy
building.  From memory, hdapsd in our repo does something similar.

If nobody hosts a snapshot already, or you don't have anywhere
to host one, we'll have to figure out something else - that's a
bridge we haven't had to cross yet.

-RW