[Slackbuilds-users] postgresql

Donald Allen donaldcallen at gmail.com
Fri Apr 2 18:29:47 UTC 2010

On Fri, Apr 2, 2010 at 1:53 PM, /dev/rob0 <rob0 at slackbuilds.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 02, 2010 at 01:44:58PM -0400, Donald Allen wrote:
>> I do note that the README.SBo says "make sure rc.postgresql is
>> executable", which I overlooked on first reading. I still think
>> this is a bug, or at least an inconvenience. Why require the user
>> to add execute permission? The installation should just take care
>> of it.
>
> No, this is how Slackware works. Most server packages do not come
> enabled out of the box. You have to take explicit steps to enable
> them. The setup has a section which does this for included server
> packages.
>
> A Slackbuild builds a Slackware package, so it would be wrong for
> builds to assume that the service should be enabled by default.

Understood, but I knew that at the outset and what I'm saying doesn't
violate that. I am neither assuming nor asking for the postgres server
to be started by default. I'm saying that the postgres slackbuild goes
to the trouble of creating an /etc/rc.d/rc.postgresql, which the user
either chooses to execute from /etc/rc.d/rc.local or he doesn't. But
if the user *does* choose to do this, my point is that the execute bit
ought to be set for him, rather than requiring him to do the chmod
manually, which is the case now. If the user doesn't start the server
at boot time, the execute permission does no harm and may do some good
-- allows him to do

/etc/rc.d/rc.postgresql start

from a shell. All benefit, no cost, one less manual thing the user
doesn't have to do.

> Welcome back to Slackware, BTW.

Thanks, that's very nice of you. It's come a long way since 1994 or
thereabouts! I'm hoping I've finally found a Linux distribution that
will rival the stability and attention to QA and documentation of
OpenBSD, but give me the performance and friendly user forums that
OpenBSD lacks.

/Don